At Benson Dental, we want to help our patients prevent oral disease before it causes serious problems. Whenever possible, we strongly emphasize preventive care to help patients maintain their smiles for years to come. Long-term preventive care is crucial in preventing caries (cavities), periodontal disease, tooth loss, and a variety of other health conditions.
Your dentist plays a vital role in your preventive care routine, and there are plenty of at-home care techniques that promote a healthy mouth and prevent oral disease. Forming healthy habits, whether you are a child or an adult, can go a long way when caring for your smile and your entire body.
Dental Visits and Prevention
Even if you clean your teeth regularly, visiting your dentist can help prevent oral disease, plaque buildup, cavities, and even oral cancer. Below are some of the key preventive steps we take to keep your smile healthy for a lifetime:
- Dentists know how to look for signs of oral diseases, such as gingivitis, gum disease, or even oral cancer. Regular visits for a cleaning and exam allow Dr. Benson to catch problems early, making treatment faster and easier. Always call our office if you notice any changes around your gums, tongue, or inside of your mouth.
- Genetics, pre-existing conditions, and other factors can make it harder to fight oral infections without the help of a professional. If you are at higher risk of developing caries, Dr. Benson may also offer preventive treatments, such as fluoride treatments and sealants.
- Even avid brushers and flossers can miss areas below the gum line and in the back of the mouth. Regular cleanings remove this plaque buildup before it gets out of control.
Whether you need a deep cleaning or a simple filling, the team at Benson Dental can help. If you are already dealing with early stages of gum disease or dental decay, Dr. Benson can help you form a treatment plan to keep infections from spreading and prevent future problems. Our goal is always to keep your smile healthy and beautiful.
The vast majority of dental diseases are preventable, and good oral hygiene is critical for your overall health. Our staff is made up of experienced dental professionals, and they have a lot of tips and tricks to help you fit healthy habits into your busy schedule.
- Brushing and flossing. Most people can spare a couple of minutes to brush every morning and evening, but many people forget to floss once each day. Roughly 40% of your teeth’s surface area is in between the teeth, which is why flossing is so important. Carrying some floss picks in your car or purse allows you to floss on the go, whenever you think of it. Remember, habits form over time, and it’s important to invest time in your health.
- Changing dietary habits. We never want to recommend a lifestyle change that is unreasonable or impossible to maintain, and very simple changes, such as drinking water after meals, can have a substantial effect on your oral health. Consider buying a reusable bottle to take with you on the go.
There are many things we can do to keep our smiles healthy for a lifetime. Take a look at our extended list of home care techniques to find out if you can improve your smile at home.
Preventive Dentistry in Sioux Falls, SD
At Benson Dental, we want your smile to look healthy and beautiful for a lifetime. No matter how long it has been since your last visit, it’s never too late to come in for a checkup and a cleaning to make sure your teeth stay healthy. If you need a restorative treatment, such as a root canal or a filling, our team uses the most reliable techniques available to repair your smile and prevent infections from getting worse. For more information, contact our office in Sioux Falls. One of our staff members will be happy to assist you.